Friday, March 21, 2008

Quarter 3 Social Studies

Our unit for this section of of social studies class is the Westward Expansion. Our learning strategy for this was to pick an event that happened during the Westward Expansion, research it, write a formal report on it, and then get with a partner to create a board game that teaches people about our event. We were graded for each project separately. My partner for the board game was Faisal Tamimi. Our event was the Louisiana Purchase. The object of our game was a bit like the game of Sorry but with the twist of learning about the Louisiana Purchase.

The purpose of the research paper was to have us learn about out event. Before we could create our board game we had to become experts on our chosen event. After we acquired the necessary information needed on the Louisiana Purchase, Bob and I partnered up and made a board game. The purpose of the board game was to teach other people about our event. While playing our game we had hoped you could learn different information about the Louisiana Purchase. To test you on what you learned, at the end of our game you had to answer a quiz question in order to win the game.

By doing the project I learned many things about the Louisiana Purchase. I learned about how significant this event was to the United States. It was the largest land purchase made by the US. I also learned that the land was originally owned by the French. The US bought it from Napoleon Bonaparte. I also learned about many of the major role players that took part in this event. People such as Napoleon, Thomas Jefferson, James Madison, etc.

I could have learned more/differently if I would have done the project by myself. I know it would have made more work for me. But, if I would have been done the project myself I wouldn’t have had to worry about anyone getting the work done but me. My grade wouldn’t have been in anyone else’s hand but mine. I also could have learned more/differently if we would have had a little bit more time to turn in the project. If we would have had a bit more time I wouldn’t have had to rush to get things done as much. If my partner didn’t rush as much our project could have been a lot better. So we are not quite sure of how well we did on this project.

No comments: